Saint Paisios the Athonite - Biography
Saint Paisios the Athonite
By the Holy Hesychasterion "Evangelist John the Theologian"
Size: 6" x 9" (15.2 x 23 cm)
From the Prologue:
"With the help of God, and after the work of a great many years, our Sisterhood, propelled by our sacred obligation toward the Saint, who for twenty-eight years had guided and benefited us in so many ways, presents the publication of the Biography of Saint Paisios the Athonite.
We also had the great blessing of gaining some insight into the immeasurable love the Saint had for God, his monastic exactitude, his absolute self-denial and the power of his fervent prayer. Having lived in such close proximity to him, we personally experienced his holy simplicity and his profound humility, his God-illuminated discernment, his noble love for each person, but also his deliberate efforts to conceal his virtues.
We therefore deemed it our obligation to utilize all the materials - both information and knowledge bequeathed to us in order to compose, to the best of our ability, the biography of the saintly Elder. The contents of this Synaxarion stem primarily from our communication with the Saint - from the notes we had kept during the gatherings of the Sisterhood and the private conversations we had had with him; from his letters not only to the entire Sisterhood but also to each Sister; from the numerous verbal and written testimonies which had been entrusted to us by clergy, monks and lay-people who had met the Elder' as well as from information that had been gathered from the on-site research we had conducted in some of the areas where the elder had lived and struggled. Understandably, it was impossible to include the enusuing material in its entirety, as it amounted to thousands of pages, and we wanted to avoid an overly extensive volume of biography. As a result, it became necessary to carefully..."
From the Contents:
- Chapter One: From Pharasa to Homeland of Greece
- Chapter Two: The Years of his Childhood and Youth
- Chapter Three: Military Service
- Chapter Four: Preparations and Temptations
- Chapter Five: At the Holy Monastery of Esphigmenou
- Chapter Six: At the Holy Monastery of Philotheou
- Chapter Seven: At the Holy Monastery of Stomion
- Chapter Eight: At God-trodden Mount Sinai
- Chapter Nine: At the Skete of Iveron of Saint John the Forerunner
- Chapter Ten: At Desolate Katounakia
- Chapter Eleven: At the Kelli of the Precious Cross
- Chapter Twelve: At the Kelli of Panagouda
- Chapter Thirteen: From Earth to Heaven