The Story Behind This Icon:
Saint Sophrony of Essex (Sacharov), one of our modern-day saints, was born in Moscow in 1896. Even as a child, he found peace in praying, although he initially devoted himself to painting and studied at the State School of Fine Arts. In 1922 he left his home country to pursue his artistic career in Western Europe and settled in Paris. There, he returned to Christianity and became among the first students of St. Sergius Orthodox Theological Institute. After three years, he decided to leave as he found the formal theological studies to be unfulfilling and headed to Mount Athos, where he entered the Monastery of Saint Panteleimon. He became a disciple of Saint Silouan the Athonite. In 1941, Saint Sophrony was ordained to priesthood and eventually became the spiritual father to many monks in Mount Athos. In 1959, Saint Sophrony established the Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of Saint John the Baptist in Essex, England.
Throughout his lifetime and preachings, he taught the faithful to have love in their heart. He reposed in the Lord in 1993.
Saint Sophrony of Essex is commemorated each year on July 11.
This icon is made of solid, natural limewood (Tilia) that has been prepared by hand using traditional methods and organic materials. The background is comprised of 22 Karat gold leaves that were meticulously applied by hand, piece by piece. All of our icons are reproduced according to museum print standards and are authentic replicas of Holy Icons from Mount Athos and elsewhere.
Learn more about how our Holy Icons are made here.